BS in Recreation and Park Management

Recreation and Park Management


Have you ever thought about making a living through which you can play to work? Do you want to make a difference in the lives of others using fun and recreation as a medium for personal growth?

ECU's BS in recreation and park management will provide you classroom, service-learning, and internship experiences where you will work with people in a wide range of settings. You'll learn how to plan and conduct programs, engage in marketing, supervise others, design recreation facilities, host special events, and engage in many other experiences putting recreation to work for others. Our field changes lives: We help make people happier, more fulfilled, and closer to friends and family. We also aim for a sustainable environment in all that we do.

The breadth of the field allows you to put your skills to work in a wide range of settings such as military recreation in the United States and abroad; tourism including cruise ships, major hotel lines, and tour companies; city parks and recreation departments running parks, sports, arts and crafts, theater, trips, and other programs; state parks; youth sports; festivals and special events; outdoor leadership; campus recreation; nonprofit agencies such as the YMCA, Boys and Girls Club, and 4-H; organized camping; church recreation programs; and employee recreation services.

Admission Requirements

Students who want to declare a major in recreation and park management at the time of entrance into the degree need to have completed 30 s.h. of coursework at ECU or in transfer credits; possess a minimum overall GPA of 2.0.


Program Requirements

Required Courses

Four Year Plan

Students majoring in recreation and park management must maintain a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA and a minimum cumulative 2.0 overall GPA in all core and restricted elective courses to remain in good standing. Majors must earn a minimum grade of C (2.0) in all required core RCLS prefix courses. If a course without the RCLS prefix is approved as a substitution for a required core RCLS prefix course, a minimum grade of C (2.0) must be earned. Students dropping below the required 2.0 GPA will not be allowed to enroll in any additional RCLS prefix courses until the GPA meets the 2.0 requirement. If a student receives a grade lower than a C (2.0) in a required core course, the student may re-take that course without meeting the 2.0 GPA requirements.

Delivery Methods

This program is only offered in an on-campus, Face to Face format.

Additional Information

Program Check-sheet

Accreditation Information

The recreation and park management (RPM) program is accredited by the Council on Accreditation for Recreation, Parks, Tourism, and Related Professions (COAPRT).  COAPRT is, in turn, accredited by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).

Important Information Regarding Degree Mills. Please watch this important video ( regarding degree and accreditation mills. According to CHEA, “Degree mills and accreditation mills mislead and harm. In the United States, degrees and certificates from mills may not be acknowledged by other institutions when students seek to transfer or go to graduate school. Employers may not acknowledge degrees and certificates from degree mills when providing tuition assistance for continuing education. “Accreditation” from an accreditation mill can mislead students and the public about the quality of an institution. In the presence of degree mills and accreditation mills, students may spend a good deal of money and receive neither an education nor a usable credential.” Read more on CHEA’s website .

COAPRT Annual Report 2017

Institutional and Professional Licensure Disclosures for Enrolled and Prospective Students

All applicable ECU academic programs prepare students to sit for licensure in North Carolina. In order to comply with NC-SARA and the U.S. Department of Education regulations regarding distance education and professional licensure ECU is required to make the following disclosure with respect to professional licensure outside the state of North Carolina:

If you are considering an academic program that leads to a professional license, please be aware that ECU may or may not be able to confirm whether a particular program meets requirement for professional licensure outside the State of North Carolina.  ECU highly recommends that you contact the academic program for assistance with professional licensure questions and enrollment options.  SARA does not provide reciprocity for state professional licensing requirements.  Academic programs and individual graduates must meet standards set by that state’s licensure requirements in order to be eligible for a license.  Please explore this link to learn about the appropriate licensing or certification organizations and their requirements.