RT Month Student Spotlight: Deallaney Hudson

Name: Deallaney Hudson

Degree and graduation year: Bachelor of Science in Recreational Therapy. Expected to graduate in summer of 2025.

What brought you to ECU? How did you find this degree?
Growing up in Greenville, I always knew I wanted to be a Pirate one day. After spending my freshman year at Pitt Community College trying to figure out exactly what path I wanted to pursue, the idea of recreational therapy was mentioned to me. From that point on I started researching to see just what it entailed and fell in love with it immediately. The thought of being able to help a variety of individuals through different interventions caught my attention quick. After the transfer process was complete, I officially became a Pirate and began my journey into RT. 

Tell us about your hobbies and involvement at ECU?
I have always grown up going to ECU sporting events such as basketball, baseball, and football games. Now as a student at ECU, I continue to enjoy attending these sporting events. I am a member of the RTSS club, and we have participated in activities such as art therapy, making cards and goodie bags for the elders, and going out into the community to volunteer. 

What is your favorite aspect of recreational therapy?
My favorite aspect of recreational therapy is being able to provide leisure-based activities to help individuals with integration into their daily life. The skills and strategies learned through these activities can promote long-term positive outcomes and sustainable improvements. 

Tell us about your upcoming internship or where you hope to intern?
I am very excited for my upcoming internship. As of now, I wish to stay in the Greenville area to complete this 14/15-week experience. Since I have an interest in working with the geriatric population, I hope to be placed at a retirement community/assisted living facility or maybe even in the hospital. 

What kind of setting or future job do you hope to have upon graduation?
Upon graduation, I hope to be working as a CTRS in a long-term care facility alongside other healthcare providers who may be a part of a client/patient’s team. In doing this, I would be providing activities that are in the best interest of the individual to get them engaged and helping with their overall well-being.