Child Life Student Spotlight: Danasia

Name: Danasia Moore

Degree & Graduation Year: BS Child Life, class of 2024.

Tell us a little bit about your experience at ECU, HHP, and Child Life program thus far? 
The College of Health and Human Performance at East Carolina University has given me a unique experience as a child life student. Through faculty support, engaging coursework, and various volunteer experiences, I feel equipped to work with children upon graduation and knowledgeable about child development and the child life profession. The Nancy Darden Child Development Center (NDCDC) at East Carolina University is exceptional and has given me the opportunity to work with children during early childhood, and apply theory through my interactions, and advocate for early childhood programs.

Tell us about your hobbies and involvement at ECU?
At East Carolina University, I am the current Child Life Student Association (CLSA) secretary. Outside of my academics, I enjoy reading, writing, dancing, and thrifting.

What brought you to ECU?
Compared to other child life programs in North Carolina, I felt that the child life program at East Carolina University would adequately prepare me to work with children not only in the hospital setting, but in all settings. I felt confident that East Carolina University would equip me with the skills, knowledge, and experiences to succeed in the child life field.

Why do you want to enter the field of Child Life?
I am interested in the field of child life because I was hospitalized numerous times as a child, and I recall how joyous I felt when I was taken to the playroom. Pursuing child life will allow me to give back to the community that treated me so well and helped me cope with hospitalization. Since I know first-hand what it is like to be hospitalized as a toddler, preschooler, and school-age child and how unique each experience was, I would love nothing more than to help support the psychosocial needs of children and see them recover as I did.

Tell us about your upcoming internship or where you hope to intern?
I am pleased to announce that I have accepted a practicum position at the Maynard Children’s Hospital at ECU Health Medical Center for the summer 2023 term. My child life internship is scheduled for the spring 2024 term. While I would love to intern at any of the amazing hospitals in North Carolina, I am also open to the extraordinary internship opportunities offered at hospitals that are out of state.

What is your favorite aspect of Child Life?
My favorite aspect of child life is the impact we have on children not just during hospitalization but throughout their life. Understanding children’s psychosocial needs and issues that can arise during hospitalization allows child life specialists to intervene and lessen the trauma associated with hospitalization. Giving children the ability to cope with their experience(s) is an exceptional attribute and is what drives my passion for the child life profession.

Tell us about your favorite Child Life course or professor(s)?
My favorite child life course is HDFS 3413: The Hospitalized Child. This course, taught by program co-coordinator Priti Desai, challenged me and helped me broaden my understanding of children’s reactions to hospitalization, interventions used by child life specialists, assessment and preparation, and the importance of family-centered-care in the child life profession.

What kind of setting or future job do you hope to have upon graduation?
Upon graduation, I plan to attend graduate school. After obtaining my master’s degree, I hope to secure a child life specialist job in a stand-alone children’s hospital.

Anything else you’d like to share about yourself or your passion for Child Life?
I would like to add that when you’re passionate about something, it can become easy to let it dictate your life. I think it is important for anyone pursuing their passion to establish boundaries, take breaks, and make their well-being their top priority. While I still struggle with this, self-care has become a regular part of my routine since I was admitted to the child life program and has helped me balance my academics and personal life.