Recreational Therapy Student Spotlight: Javhon

Name:  Javhon White Degree & Graduation Year:  BS Recreational Therapy, class of 2024. 

Tell us about your hobbies and involvement at ECU?  

In my free time I like to travel, workout, and hang out with friends, I also love to read. I like to be involved around campus, I am the treasurer of the Recreational Therapy Student Society (RTSS), I’m a member of T.E.A.M (talented empowered aspired men) and I’m in the National Society of Leadership and Success.

What brought you to ECU?   

What brought me to ECU was a club called TRIO that I went to when I was 13/14. The other club members and I were able to spend a whole week on campus and visit different class rooms and conversed with guest speakers about what ECU has to offer.

Why do you want to enter the field of recreational therapy?   

I wanted to enter the field of Recreational Therapy because I’m passionate about helping individuals with physical disabilities while also being an advocate for them. I find happiness in the thought of helping improve someone’s overall quality of life in positive ways while also spreading awareness of inclusion!

Tell us about your upcoming internship or where you hope to intern?  

For my upcoming internship I have a number of places I’m interested in but the Shepherd Center in Atlanta Georgia is my number one choice. I’m very excited to get hands on training and learn more about the field.

What is your favorite aspect of recreational therapy?   

My favorite aspect of Recreational therapy is the flexibility of it. There’s so many different and creative ways to help someone as long as the activity is purposeful.

Tell us about your favorite recreational therapy course or professor(s)?  

My favorite course was Recreational Therapy Foundations with Dr. Eldridge. She’s a very passionate professor who exemplifies how much you should care when you’re going into a field like Recreational Therapy. Another one of my favorite courses was Assessment and Measurement in Recreational Therapy with Dr. Loy. These courses were more than simply learning the material. It’s a great feeling when you can see the excitement your professor has towards teaching you the information. These classes didn’t feel like a regular class; they felt more like an informative conversation between individuals who are all passionate about the same things. The RT program as a whole is absolutely outstanding. My encounters with each and every one of my professors has been positive!

What kind of setting or future job do you hope to have upon graduation?   

When I graduate I hope to be working in a setting involving physical disabilities.