Recreational Therapy Month Student Spotlight: Brittany

Name: Brittany Ratterree

Degree & Graduation Year: BS Recreational Therapy, class of 2023

Tell us about your hobbies and involvement at ECU?

My hobbies are volunteering at Ronald McDonald house here in Greenville, NC. I am part of the Student Association Best Buddies that is focused on building friendships between students and individuals with disabilities. I also have been a member of Alpha Delta Pi a philanthropic sorority for 4 years here at East Carolina and served as President Fall & Spring 2022 and was Vice President Fall & Spring 2021.

What brought you to ECU?

What brought me to ECU is I love the small college town setting and lively spirit on a gameday. Nothing beats being a Pirate and I can’t imagine being a student anywhere else. 

Why do you want to enter the field of recreational therapy?

I want to enter the field of recreational therapy because I am a people person and am passionate about others and want to be able to assist them with regaining a level of independence and improve their every day quality of life.

Tell us about your upcoming internship or where you hope to intern?

I am hoping to intern at Atrium Wake Forest Baptist Hospital in the Behavioral health or Rehabilitation unit.

What is your favorite aspect of recreational therapy?

My favorite aspect of recreational therapy is the field itself is very rewarding, watching people grow from the interventions and seeing them be able to do things they love that some never thought they would be able to do again.

Tell us about your favorite recreational therapy course or professor(s)?

Mrs. Burnworth, who has been my professor for 2 years now, has had a large impact on me from inspiring me to learn and grow within Recreational Therapy. Her passion and professional experience within the field from being on the board of ATRA and juggling the many courses she teaches is what inspires me as a student to make the same impact within the field of RT.

What kind of setting or future job do you hope to have upon graduation?

My long-term plans for my Recreational Therapy Degree are to work at a facility specializing in Rehabilitation to facilitate and create ideas within recreational therapy that are adaptive and can be used to increase quality of life.