HHP Student Profile: Georgia Parnell

1. What is your major and your minor?
    I am an exercise physiology major with a minor in business administration
  2. What is your graduation year?
    I will be graduating in May 2022.
  3. What is your research project? What are you trying to accomplish with this project?
    The research project I am working on is studying the neuromotor control differences in the upper extremity between those with and without rheumatoid arthritis. The goal of this project is to be able to inform future treatments with the results.
  4. Who are you working with in order to complete this research project?
    I am working under Dr. Nick Murray, who is an amazing mentor because he leads by example and is always there to help with any problems we run into. I am also working with my peers, Julianna Ethridge and Madison Holloman.
  5. How did you become involved in the research process?
    I have always been interested in the projects that are done in the Visual Motor Lab. Dr. Murray told me about the project regarding rheumatoid arthritis and I was instantly intrigued because it is relevant to my career path of physical therapy.
  6. What advice do you have for students who are interested in your field and want to become involved?
    Even if being involved is intimidating for you, always take the risk and go for it! It can sometimes be very nerve-racking, but you will get through those times and everything will be worth it. Never let fear hold you back from achieving your goals!
  7. How do you think this research process has affected/will affect your career path(s)?
    This research process has prepared me for my future as a physical therapy student at ECU. My research has taught me perseverance, patience, and teamwork. The DPT school values research and holds it as a priority, and working in Dr. Murray’s lab has done a great job of preparing me for that. It will also help me when I get into my career, because the learning and research should never stop!