Brittany King Internship Spotlight

Name:

Brittany Sheree King

Major & Graduation year:

BS Public Health with a  Community Health Concentration. Brittany will graduate in December 2020!

Hobbies & Interests:

I love participating in community activities that involve working with children. I also enjoy spending time with my puppy, Pepper.

Any quotes or words to live by?

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”

What brought you to ECU?

I was born in Greenville and come from a family of Pirates! My mom and dad met here and are class of 1992, as well as many of my aunts and uncles. Growing up, I have been able to see how much of a positive impact East Carolina has been for those close to me. It not only provided a great education and profession, but it created a sense of family as well. I was destined to be a Pirate!

Tell us about your experience working at AMEXCAN?

My experience working at the Association of Mexicans in North Carolina has been nothing short of amazing! I have really been immersed in Latino culture and have been able to see all the amazing things that it has to offer. During my time here, I have also seen many health disparities firsthand. It has been my job to help educate the community about COVID-19 and provide proper resources and materials to families in need.

What led you to working in this setting?

Diversity and health equity have always been an essential aspect of Public Health. I feel that it is important for me to understand and get to know some of the individuals that I will be working with in my community so that I can help to provide them with proper resources.

What is your favorite part about your current internship experience? Speaking a different language! While being at AMEXCAN, I have learned enough Spanish to introduce myself to others, educate them about COVID-19 and how to practice the three W’s. It is such a rewarding experience to break down barriers and see others benefit from information that I was able to provide. 

What is your favorite aspect of the Health Education and Promotion program?

My favorite aspect of the Health Education Program would be the course material and being able to apply it to my work. My professors did a wonderful job preparing my classmates and I for professional and workplace experiences. During my internship, I have been very confident in my work and have been able to apply things that I learned in the classroom. 

Do you have any advice to incoming Health Education and Promotion students?

Network, network, network! Get to know your peers and professors. Establishing relationships with others will benefit you academically and professionally.