Amanda Maultsby-Willett Alumni Profile

Amanda Maultsby Willett is a two-time alumna of ECU; she earned her bachelor’s in Recreational Therapy in 2006 and her master’s in Recreational Therapy Administration in 2009.

Amanda’s professional career began as a graduate assistant at ECU in the Recreation and Leisure Studies program. Since then she worked for behavioral health agencies before transitioning to a compliance position at the local managed care organization. September 2011, Amanda became the Regulatory Compliance Manager for East Carolina Behavioral Health, now Trillium Health Resources. In the years since joining Trillium, Amanda has taken on additional duties and oversight and now serves as the Head of Program Integrity. Along with her licensure in Recreational Therapy, she is an Accredited Health Care Fraud Investigator and Certified in Healthcare Compliance. Amanda has also served as an adjunct professor for ECU, supervising student interns in the Recreational Therapy department.

Along with her work, service to others and the community is important to Amanda. As the current President of the North Carolina Training, Instruction, Development and Education (NC TIDE) committee, she leads planning an annual conference for behavioral health professionals across North Carolina. She is current President of Greenville Women’s League, a service organization dedicated to serving and improving the lives of the citizens in her community through volunteer efforts and fellowship. Additionally, Amanda is a part of Coop’s Crew committee members assisting with planning and fundraising for Coopstrong, a non-profit organization formed to honor the memory of Nelson Cooper, a beloved husband, father, professor from ECU, and friend who passed away from ALS in May 2017.  She volunteers with her church youth and music programs as well as assisted with volunteer coaching for her son’s youth soccer team. Amanda has served on the Recreation Sciences Alumni board at ECU since 2012 collaborating with students, faculty and alumni.

Of her time at ECU, Amanda tells us, “I was fortunate to not only learn about youth and adolescent program development but facilitate behavior modification interventions through a child behavioral health day treatment program one of my professors sponsored on campus. Having this experience jump started my passion for helping others and ultimately started my journey to where I am working today in healthcare.”

Amanda’s advice for future students? “Dr. Thom Skalko encouraged me during my time at ECU to get as many tools in my toolbox as possible, meaning obtain various skills, certifications and experiences to help you be prepared for future possibilities. I still use this advice as I continue to grow in my current job.  I encourage future and current Pirates to do the same thing. Think outside of the box. Take risks. Seize opportunities to learn new things and most of all, build your tools in your toolbox.  Also, live each day with the advice from the late Dr. Nelson Cooper, ” “Know that your life matters to many, so do good work, laugh every day and PRESS ON!”

To find out more about missions, work and opportunities for the groups Amanda is passionate about and volunteers for, checkout their website:
Coopstrong: https://www.coopstrong.org/
Greenville Women’s League: https://greenvillewomensleague.net/
NC TIDE: http://nctide.org/