Justin Sharpe – Alumni Profile

Justin Sharpe received his B.S. in Public Health in 2012 and Master of Public Health in 2014. Justin began his career as a graduate instructor in ECU’s Health 1000 classes and since has served as a prevention specialist and prevention coordinator at Anuvia Prevention and Recovery Center. He is now serving as the associate director at Duke University’s “DuWell” Student Wellness Center.

Justin has received numerous honors and certifications, including being named to East Carolina University’s “Forty Under Forty” list for 2020. Justin is also a Koru mindfulness instructor, an integrative health coach, and a certified health education specialist.

When discussing his experience as an HHP student, Justin said “I owe a huge part of my successes to all of the faculty within the Department of Health Education and Promotion. The educational and professional opportunities I had during my time as both an undergraduate and graduate student set me on a course that opened up many doors for professional achievement after graduation. The continued mentorship from Dr. Jennifer Matthews and others within the department shows their commitment to the public health profession and their students even after we’re no longer sitting in the classroom – an invaluable asset that I’m not sure other graduates can say they have.”

When asked about what advice he had for students, Justin said “Find yourself a mentor, take advantage of research and teaching opportunities and diversify your areas of expertise.”