RT Month – Alumni Spotlight Amelia Saul

Amelia Saul will soon be a three-time alumna of East Carolina University. Amelia is a doctoral student in the Department of Addiction and Rehabilitation Studies, working on her Ph.D. in Rehabilitation Counseling & Administration. Amelia received both her bachelor’s and master’s degrees from ECU, recreational therapy in 2016 and recreational therapy administration in 2018, respectively. In 2019, she became president of the North Carolina Recreational Therapy Association (NCRTA). Amelia’s research relates to the use of different evidence-based stress management interventions that can be implemented with a variety of individuals. Her current research is focused on the use of biofeedback interventions.

Amelia tells us that, “ECU has always felt like home ever since my first time stepping onto campus. The professors that I have had in the recreational therapy program have supported me, encouraged me and taught me the importance of advocating for our patients and the recreational therapy profession. My family, friends, professors and my mentor, Dr. Matt Fish, have inspired me to excel in my research, studies and profession. I wouldn’t be the person I am today without the opportunities I have had as an ECU Pirate.”

Amelia’s advice to current and prospective students? “Discover what you love to do and never give up on your dreams. Deciding on a career can be intimidating, but once you find something that you enjoy doing, the work you put in feels less like work and more like discovering the road-map to your future. I encourage you to seek out different opportunities to find what you enjoy doing and to continue to build upon your skills to enhance your toolbox. The skills and learning I received from ECU well prepared me for my internship and my Ph.D.”