Summer Kenny Research

Meet Health Fitness Specialist Junior Summer Kenny! Summer is an EC Scholar who is active in research and has received early assurance to ECU’s Physical Therapy School.

1. What are some of your hobbies and interests? 

One of my favorite things to do is coach and I currently coach (assistant coach) a youth girls’ soccer team at Pitt-Greenville Soccer Association.

2. What are you involved in here at ECU? 

I am in the EC Scholars program where I serve on the Roundtable for this program. The Roundtable is a committee that plans events and organizes service occasions for our fellow EC Scholars. I am a research assistant for the Fall-Specific Somatosensory Threshold study at ECU’s Physical Therapy School, which is studying a way to lower the threshold for diagnosing peripheral neuropathy. Recently I have started working on another research study at ECU’s Physical Therapy School that is studying people with chronic ankle instabilities and how that affects load progressions. I am also in the Kinesiology Majors Club.

3. Tell us a little bit about yourself? 

I grew up in Greenville, NC and played soccer for 13 years. I came to love the field of physical therapy through an internship at Vidant Medical Center in acute physical therapy. I have a younger sister who I am incredibly close with. Some of my favorite things to do are spend time with my friends, workout, and spend time outdoors.

4. What are your goals that you hope to accomplish in the coming years?

In the coming years I hope to graduate and attend ECU’s Physical Therapy School. I want to continue to learn by doing research and taking advantage of the opportunities that come my way. I hope to keep coaching because it is so much fun and I love the girls that I coach.

5. What advice do you have for students who are interested in your field and want to become involved? 

Say yes to the chances you have, even if you don’t know what will come of them. If you are scared and don’t know what you are doing, it might just be a chance to grow and learn. If someone gives you a new opportunity, work hard and be proactive.

6. How do you think your involvement has affected your career path?

My involvement has prepared me for my future career by making connections, learning about the field, and growing in professionalism.