Afarin Rajaei – Donor Affected

1. What is your major/minor?
    I am a Ph.D. candidate in the medical family therapy program and also getting a certificate in health communication.
  2. What are some of your hobbies and interests?
    I enjoy watching my favorite TV shows, exercising, traveling, and spending time in nature. 
  3. What are you involved in here at ECU?
    I am the chair of the Diversity and Inclusion committee at MFTSA here at ECU. I am also involved with the event at the international office. 
  4. What is the Collaborative Family Health Care Association?
    “The Collaborative Family Healthcare Association (CFHA) supports healthcare professionals in integrating physical and behavioral health.” 
  5. How did you benefit from being able to attend the conference?
    I enjoyed attending the conference. It is a great opportunity to network with other professionals and academic people from our own field and also other fields. I always learn from the sessions and presentations there, as well as the keynote speakers. It is an awesome way to advance my knowledge and meet with other people. 
  6. What advice do you have for students who are interested in your field and want to become involved?
    Please follow your dreams and passions! It is not always easy but at the end of the day, it is worth all the challenges, dedication, and time. Do not work in isolation! Reach out to other people, ask for help and collaboration. You will be surprised when you see how many professionals are out there who are willing to accompany you on your journey. 
  7. How do you think your involvement has affected your career path(s)?
    It has been adding new dimensions to my perspective. Attending CFHA and other conferences is a great way to get inspired and motivated. And what is more important than inspiration and motivation? 
  8. Is there anything else you’d like to share?
    I am always grateful for the great opportunity that ECU and Medical Family Therapy program here have been offering me. If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. All my mentors, the faculty, and my cohort who always support me in numerous ways. 
  9. Is there anything else you would like to share?
    “You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.” Jane Goodall
    Every individual matters. Ever dream matters. Every role matters. Empathy matters. Love matters. I hope we all do not give up and continue achieving our full potential in harmony of love and peace.