HHP Pirate Profile - Brandee Markwith

Name : Brandee Markwith

Age: 21

Major: Public Health

Concentration: Community Health

Hobbies & Interests: 

I love spending time with my family and going to the beach. Some of my favorite Netflix shows are Jane the Virgin as well as the Office. I play volleyball here at ECU and absolutely love being a student-athlete. Go Pirates!

What brought you to ECU from Hawaii?

When I was a Sophomore in high school, I knew that I wanted to play volleyball in college. The summer before going into my Junior year, I made a verbal commitment to play at ECU. When I visited campus, I loved how welcoming people were as well as how hospitable. In many ways, it reminded me of the culture I experience at home. 

What is your favorite aspect of ECU?

I love the school spirit here at ECU! People who live in Greenville, as well as students and alum who attended ECU are all about Pirate nation. 

How, and why did you pick Public Health?

I essentially picked Public Health because I wanted to be able to help people. Not specifically just one population, but open myself up to many. 

What is your favorite aspect of Public Health?

I love the idea of helping and educating those on healthy lifestyles. I also enjoy planning interventions for specific populations. I think it’s important to learn to understand different groups and populations of people to further understand how to raise awareness on certain health risks and how to encourage healthy behaviors.

What is your favorite class you have taken so far?

Health 4605 Community Strategies

This class has taught me a lot about intervention planning as well as how to communicate with those that you are trying to help. It has also taught me life skills that I will need to know going further into my major. It’s a very interactive class that makes me enjoy coming to class and learning. Professor Russell does a great job of having group discussions and group activities to make us better understand the material. 

Any advice for upcoming public health students?

You can continue to grow as a student in public health by reminding yourself why you chose this major in the first place. My passion is to help others who don’t have the resources or knowledge to help themselves. If there was ever a time where I struggled in my classes, I would remind myself of my passion and use it to help me moving forward.