HHP Pirate Profile - Jennifer Jarosz

About Jennifer:

College: Health and Human Performance

Major: Recreational Therapy

Age: 21

Hometown: Epping, New Hampshire

Hobbies / Interests: Group fitness, going to the beach, traveling, reading

Clubs / Organizations: President of Recreation Therapy Student Society

Favorites:

Favorite place on campus: Central campus fountain

Favorite class: Psychology

Favorite food: Chocolate

Favorite musical artist: Milky Chance

Why did you pick Recreational Therapy?

I’ve always enjoyed the aspect of improving the quality of life, and Recreational Therapy involves the use of recreation and leisure activities to do that. I think it is really cool that we can use recreation as a type of therapy.

Why did you pick ECU?

I just wanted a fresh start so I began looking around at schools. I had a friend that played soccer at ECU, and a few other friends that came here from my hometown in New Hampshire. I checked out ECU and I loved the school spirit, where I am from in New Hampshire there was not much school spirit so it was really awesome to see that all over ECU’s campus. I also hate the cold so being in the south was ideal for me.

What do you plan to do after graduation?

After graduation I plan to receive licensure in Recreation Therapy. I would like to work in a community based setting and continue group fitness.

What is your long-term goal?

I would like to eventually become self-employed. I would like to combine recreational therapy and group fitness and create a program for people with disabilities.

What is your favorite aspect of your major?

I have always loved being around and working with people. In recreational therapy I am always around, talking and connecting with all different types of people and working with them to improve their lives.

Any advice?

Always take the opportunities in front of you and have faith in your decisions. Always be willing to take risks.