Ribbon-cutting of mini pantry at Belk Building

Exactly two weeks before her graduation ceremony, Iyaira Williams enjoyed one of the most significant accomplishments of her East Carolina University journey with a ribbon-cutting for the Mini Pantry at Carol G. Belk.

Iyaira Williams ribbon-cutting for the Mini Pantry at Carol G. Belk.

Students, faculty and staff attended in support of Williams and the ribbon-cutting for the quick student food resource located outside the Belk Building, home of the Department of Health Education and Promotion and Department of Recreation Sciences. It was an afternoon of celebration of the installation, and a chance for Williams to explain the process and her inspirations.

“The purpose of the Mini Pantry at Carol G. Belk is to provide grab-and-go food options for students who are taking courses in the Carol G. Belk Building,” Williams said. “The Carol Belk Building is part of ECU’s campus, but is over a mile outside of the Main Campus Student Center. By providing a mini food pantry, students in Carol Belk will have access to healthy food options to fuel them throughout the day. This also is in support of the (main campus) Williams-Ross Purple Pantry’s mission to ‘decrease food insecurity among the students at East Carolina University.'”

Entering her senior year and as an HEP intern, Williams made this initiative one of her final projects. She applied for and received an Undergraduate Research and Creativity Award, and under guidance from her faculty supervisor, Kelli Russell, pitched the idea to department chairs. Williams then used her prior connections with the Williams-Ross Purple Pantry in the Center for Leadership and Civic Engagement to proceed with the installation process.

“The Mini Pantry at Carol G. Belk is more than just a senior project to me,” said Williams, who also thanked Lauren Howard, Dr. Alice Richman, ECU Center for Leadership & Civic Engagement staff and others for their support. “It’s a passion project that I am thankful to leave with the Department of Health Education and Promotion, and a legacy I am honored to have with my soon-to-be alma mater. It’s given me the opportunity to bridge my knowledge of public health with my passion for food security and has ultimately shown me that there is power in collaboration.”